Do you remember the episode where Elaine takes George's dad with her to the nail salon so he can translate for her, since she knows the nail technicians are talking about her? I have said before that here in Dubai I would really like to have the gift of tongues; there are so many different languages spoken here, and I so wish I could understand what (some, not all) people are saying.
Today I tried out a new salon at the hotel right across the street from our apartment and my first surprise was that the two guys from the "barber shop" followed me down the hall into the "ladies salon". Cultural info: women's salon's are totally off limits to men - they have all their windows completely covered, signs on the doors forbidding men from entering etc. since the women are not wearing their head coverings inside.
So it was surprising that the two guys followed me into the salon, but I thought maybe they were just being extra helpful and making sure I found my way through the door right in front of me. Nope. Turns out, they were my hairdressers! I'm not against male hairdressers, it was just a first for me and not at all what I expected in Dubai! Josef, from Syria and his trainee (I assume) did a tag team with foiling my highlights, then the washing of my hair, and the trainee watched as Josef cut my hair. But they were talking through the whole process and I really wanted to know what they were saying, especially when they mentioned the "Americano" - which I know doesn't sound Arabic, but that's what he said.
In spite of a few moments of fear that my hair would snap off after processing for 45 minutes, (the "5 minutes, fini" ended up being more like 20 and included a smoke break) it turned out pretty well, so I can say I've tried one more new thing here in Dubai.
Today I tried out a new salon at the hotel right across the street from our apartment and my first surprise was that the two guys from the "barber shop" followed me down the hall into the "ladies salon". Cultural info: women's salon's are totally off limits to men - they have all their windows completely covered, signs on the doors forbidding men from entering etc. since the women are not wearing their head coverings inside.
So it was surprising that the two guys followed me into the salon, but I thought maybe they were just being extra helpful and making sure I found my way through the door right in front of me. Nope. Turns out, they were my hairdressers! I'm not against male hairdressers, it was just a first for me and not at all what I expected in Dubai! Josef, from Syria and his trainee (I assume) did a tag team with foiling my highlights, then the washing of my hair, and the trainee watched as Josef cut my hair. But they were talking through the whole process and I really wanted to know what they were saying, especially when they mentioned the "Americano" - which I know doesn't sound Arabic, but that's what he said.
In spite of a few moments of fear that my hair would snap off after processing for 45 minutes, (the "5 minutes, fini" ended up being more like 20 and included a smoke break) it turned out pretty well, so I can say I've tried one more new thing here in Dubai.
3 comments:
I love reading about all your adventures that you are having there. Hope we get to see you guys when you are home.
Launi
i'm glad it turned out - i was hoping for a picture!! :)
Photo? Btw, saw your dad recently. He is one special guy.
Post a Comment