I was washing a few dishes the other night, and wishing they would fit in my dishwasher, which started me down a path of reflecting on "things I wish I had". Ten years ago, I was single, living in Logan and wondering if I would be stuck there forever, trying to figure out how to show a guy named Aaron that I was thinking about being interested in him. I really wished for someone to ask me out, rather than just another unfortunate blind date. Fast forward a couple of years, insert a super cute, long haired snowboarder from the singles ward.
Wish granted... A date or two, a little spring of hope for still single me, and then the summer ended and so did my little romance. Add that to a new principal at school who I didn't like, and the nagging frustration of my "going in a circle" life, and I decided to throw a resume or two out into the universe. I really wished for a new job in a warm place and to get my life out of its rut.
Wish granted... AZ here I come. I lived in a cute house with a roommate who was not there that often, but around when I needed company, a pool, and a new friend to set me up on another blind date. The unspoken wish - a blind date that led to more than just relief when it ended.
Wish granted... Within a year of my big move, I was married and on my way to a life of wedded bliss. Next, I wished for a baby, and now I have two beautiful munchkins. Wish granted. When I went back to work after Will was born, I wished I could just have someone come to my house to take care of him, who I could trust, and who would love my child.
Wish granted - our nanny comes to our house every day, and as an added bonus, cleans and does 90% of our laundry. Wishes I never even thought of wishing - granted. When we first got to Dubai, our apartment was small, the single sink in the kitchen made washing dishes a pain and it was too hot to ever even think about exercising. Now we live in an awesome apartment with an amazing city view, double sinks in the kitchen and a dishwasher, not to mention my own elliptical in my living room so I can exercise anytime I can summon up the energy and otherwise occupy the kids:)
My visiting teacher gave me a quote from President Uchtdorf that says, "...no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish. There is something in each day that can bring gratitud and joy if only we will see and appreciate it." In a nutshell, I am grateful for those dishes I washed (that I could have left for Calista to take care of the next day) that reminded me of how many blessings have been showered on me. Now, if I just had a window over my kitchen sink that looked out over a nice yard for my kids to play in...
Wish granted... A date or two, a little spring of hope for still single me, and then the summer ended and so did my little romance. Add that to a new principal at school who I didn't like, and the nagging frustration of my "going in a circle" life, and I decided to throw a resume or two out into the universe. I really wished for a new job in a warm place and to get my life out of its rut.
Wish granted... AZ here I come. I lived in a cute house with a roommate who was not there that often, but around when I needed company, a pool, and a new friend to set me up on another blind date. The unspoken wish - a blind date that led to more than just relief when it ended.
Wish granted... Within a year of my big move, I was married and on my way to a life of wedded bliss. Next, I wished for a baby, and now I have two beautiful munchkins. Wish granted. When I went back to work after Will was born, I wished I could just have someone come to my house to take care of him, who I could trust, and who would love my child.
Wish granted - our nanny comes to our house every day, and as an added bonus, cleans and does 90% of our laundry. Wishes I never even thought of wishing - granted. When we first got to Dubai, our apartment was small, the single sink in the kitchen made washing dishes a pain and it was too hot to ever even think about exercising. Now we live in an awesome apartment with an amazing city view, double sinks in the kitchen and a dishwasher, not to mention my own elliptical in my living room so I can exercise anytime I can summon up the energy and otherwise occupy the kids:)
My visiting teacher gave me a quote from President Uchtdorf that says, "...no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish. There is something in each day that can bring gratitud and joy if only we will see and appreciate it." In a nutshell, I am grateful for those dishes I washed (that I could have left for Calista to take care of the next day) that reminded me of how many blessings have been showered on me. Now, if I just had a window over my kitchen sink that looked out over a nice yard for my kids to play in...
1 comment:
love it ... it is nice to reflect and see how life leads us where we need to be. :) thanks for that reminder!! (and i'm still wishing for a calista to find my house :) )
Post a Comment