Friday, July 23, 2010

Things we know about Dubai







The list isn't long, but the pictures are cool - hopefully not as cool as ones we will take when we get there!

1. it's hot and humid there in the summer, but winters will be beautiful

2. there are lots of foreigners (not middle easterners)

3. 80% of the population speaks English

4. malls abound

5. no kissing in public - or other PDA - not sure if holding hands counts

6. it's pretty safe - of course there are some not so nice areas of town, but I doubt we will ever have occasion to venture there

7. we will have a minimally furnished 2 bed/2 bath apartment, right across the street from our school

8. they have IKEA and ACE Hardware stores

9. they built an indoor ski slope and an island shaped like a palm tree

10. they have the only 7 star hotel in the world and its shaped like a giant sailboat
11. we packed our air mattress in our murano that we shipped over, so we will be ready for visitors...
12. you can go on desert safari adventures, and ride camels
13. they have amazing waterparks

6 comments:

robin said...

I wish you 3 the very best for a wonderful experience. You are going to have a fantastic time, and make many terrific memories there. Please stay in touch, and don't stay away too long. Have a safe trip, and let us know when you get settled. Happy belated birthday, Will Coop..............too cute!!!
Ro

robin said...

By the way, riding a camel would be at the top of my list........:)
ro

jami v. said...

wow ... now i guess i should start saving my pennies so i can come on a safari and ride camels with you! :) can you imagine?? the visual is crackin' me up!!

Lauri said...

what an adventure. I'm so excited to hear all about it. Sounds much more modern and Americanized than I expected. Have fun!

Jason and Kristin said...

Ok, so I still don't know how you even came to the decision to relocate! I may just give you a call so I can get the scoop!

whirligigdaisy said...

When are you leaving??? I heard you were about to have a grand adventure.