Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hold your noses . . .

I need help. But let me back up and start with the reason why. In honor of my first official - sort of - Mother's Day, Nate bought me flowers. It was a lovely arrangement, and we found a cool vase in which to display them. However, as the flowers started to wilt, I noticed a slightly icky smell emanating from their direction. Yesterday was take out the garbage day, so we removed the molting arrangement from its vase, and during the transfer to the garbage, were accosted by one of the nastiest smells I have ever encountered. For lack of a better description, is anyone out there familiar with "old man breath"? On occasion, I have been chatting with gentlemen who are in their later years, and many of them share in common the same foul smelling breath, for who knows what reason. Anyway, this flower water/vase/dead arrangement had the same - but 5x worse aroma. And after repeated soakings and rinsings in steaming water and dishsoap, I fear my new vase will never be able to be used because of the stench it carries. Any thoughts on how to rid my vase of this grossness would be greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

have you tried soaking it in bleach?

Lauri said...

Maybe your sense of smell is worse because you're pregnant. Does Nate think it is as repulsive as you do?

kate said...

no advice, i'm afraid...but you could create some cool metaphors from this situation...something about motherhood giving you both beauty and some pretty gross stuff.

good luck!

Amanda said...

Oh, that sucks! My idea was to soak it in Bleach too. I hope you can get the nast out! Good luck

Jason and Kristin said...

Try vinegar. It gets the BO out of Jason's running clothes so that's saying something. I've have smelt the nasty old flower smell before, its bad so I'm feeling for you. BTW I made those lemon bars for Mother's Day...DELICIOUS!