Friday, June 14, 2013

Birthday Reflections

After I took Will to the first birthday party of a boy in his class, Emaad, and saw the giant bouncy castle (complete with party girl to entertain the kids), the popcorn and cotton candy machines (complete with vendors to hand out said treats) and full catering set up around the pool I decided I was pretty grateful that I survived that summer pregnancy in Arizona with Will, and that we wouldn't have to have the pressure of putting on a birthday party.  We have attended a few more, one in the park that we pretty low key, then a few others at kids play places, also complete with food for kids and parents, and gift bags for the kids to take home.  The latest had such loud, thumping club style music (so wrong for a kids birthday party!) that I ended up with a massive headache by the end. But I also felt kind of bad that he wouldn't get to have a special birthday day at school and take cupcakes for his class.  However, Miss Alex thinks of everything:)  She gave us the option to have an early birthday party for Will, so we chose the 12th, one month early, and he chose mini donuts instead of cupcakes so I got to use my two for one Krispy Kreme coupon and not worry about making cute enough cupcakes. 
 They sang, and counted to four, and he got to be the birthday prince, and put candles on the birthday cupcake (in the background). 


 Random, but the week before it was his turn to tell all about himself.  And this is his birthday crown. The cutest is that after they sing Happy Birthday, they shout Hip, Hip Hooray 4 times. (The other day, he was trying to do it, but I couldn't figure out what he was saying until I understood the hooray part.  Today, his lion was having a birthday, so he sang and shouted the hip hip hoorays for him.)   His favorite girl, Tea is on the left.  Then he got to help pass out the donuts.  He loved every minute of it.  He was so excited before school, he ran all the way from the car - it was really sweet, so I'm really glad he got to celebrate early. 


 Ektor, Will and Augusto making a little birthday donut toast:)
 Making sure his girl Tea gets the donut she wants:)
Calista always brings him presents for his birthday before we leave, and she brought one for Finley too.  All of them were winners - an airplane that lights up and sings loudly, a new backpack for next year (but I really wanted to pick it out this time...), some little farm animals, and a couple of books. 
Fin got her own little baby stroller - she LOVES it! 
And she loves the birthday crown - except it's too big, so it slides down over her eyes.  A good finish to the week - and only 6 more days. 

1 comment:

jami v. said...

the countdown is on!! :)
love the pics. your kids are getting so big!!!