"Mommy, Finley got an owie!" Today was our second week of 9 am church, and normally I am a big fan. But last week, we had puking. Then today, "What kind of an owie, where is it?" "It's a red owie." Well, that prompted me to shut off the shower, throw a towel on, and race to Will's room where I thought I had left the kids safe and surrounded by stuffed animals. Finley was clutching a ball, sobbing, with blood dripping down the right side of her face, and swiped across her arm and other cheek. I don't know if there is much that will make your heart sink like seeing your baby covered in blood.
After cleaning up the blood, I could see about a half inch long cut right beneath her eyebrow. It wasn't gushing blood, and once she was snuggled, and I stopped cleaning her face, Finley seemed fine. I eventually got a small bandaid on (after sending Nate a picture and asking if he thought it needed stitches. He has 6 am meetings to accompany our new church schedule.) We got on with the morning, and I kept watching the bandaid to see how the bleeding was.
Glimpse of sweetness: I got Finley's pink dress on her (hand me down from cousin Lauren, linen with gauzy overlay, flower thing on the top, super adorable) and as I stood her up to fasten buttons, Will said, "Wow! Who bought that dress?" He was suitably impressed with Fin's cuteness. But then came my next bad choice. I thought it would be a good idea to put a new bandaid on that would hopefully last us through church and then we could decide if we needed to go to the doctor (it was Will's 2nd chance to have his 1st day in Primary, and the clinic didn't open until 2). Finley really didn't like the removing of the bandaid - as we all know, quick doesn't make it hurt less, and it just started the bleeding going again. The new bandaid quickly soaked up all the blood, and it started oozing out little by little.
Long story short, after Sacrament meeting, and a quick jr primary singing time, we left Will at church and took Finley to the ER where she had to get 5 stitches:(((. The cut is right below her eyebrow, so using glue to close the cut may have caused her eyebrow to not grow back, and our other options were to wait until tomorrow or go to another hospital for a plastic surgeon, or do regular sutures right then. Waiting was not a good idea in case of infection, and the plastic surgeon suturing wasn't covered by insurance. Poor Nate was right in Finley's line of sight during the whole thing, helping to hold her still, and she did not enjoy it; I'm sure the whole ER got to hear her scared little cry. Okay, little is so not the right word for her cry, but she is little, and now she will have another scar on her little body to add to the immunization one on her arm. I hope her second year is less dangerous!
After cleaning up the blood, I could see about a half inch long cut right beneath her eyebrow. It wasn't gushing blood, and once she was snuggled, and I stopped cleaning her face, Finley seemed fine. I eventually got a small bandaid on (after sending Nate a picture and asking if he thought it needed stitches. He has 6 am meetings to accompany our new church schedule.) We got on with the morning, and I kept watching the bandaid to see how the bleeding was.
Glimpse of sweetness: I got Finley's pink dress on her (hand me down from cousin Lauren, linen with gauzy overlay, flower thing on the top, super adorable) and as I stood her up to fasten buttons, Will said, "Wow! Who bought that dress?" He was suitably impressed with Fin's cuteness. But then came my next bad choice. I thought it would be a good idea to put a new bandaid on that would hopefully last us through church and then we could decide if we needed to go to the doctor (it was Will's 2nd chance to have his 1st day in Primary, and the clinic didn't open until 2). Finley really didn't like the removing of the bandaid - as we all know, quick doesn't make it hurt less, and it just started the bleeding going again. The new bandaid quickly soaked up all the blood, and it started oozing out little by little.
Long story short, after Sacrament meeting, and a quick jr primary singing time, we left Will at church and took Finley to the ER where she had to get 5 stitches:(((. The cut is right below her eyebrow, so using glue to close the cut may have caused her eyebrow to not grow back, and our other options were to wait until tomorrow or go to another hospital for a plastic surgeon, or do regular sutures right then. Waiting was not a good idea in case of infection, and the plastic surgeon suturing wasn't covered by insurance. Poor Nate was right in Finley's line of sight during the whole thing, helping to hold her still, and she did not enjoy it; I'm sure the whole ER got to hear her scared little cry. Okay, little is so not the right word for her cry, but she is little, and now she will have another scar on her little body to add to the immunization one on her arm. I hope her second year is less dangerous!


3 comments:
you are invited to follow my blog
Poor Finley! We've done that twice with Logan (super glue once, stitches another time). Not fun. Not fun at all!
So sad! Poor Fin, and everyone else =(
Post a Comment