The school year is over and the big changes have begun. Will's friend Sam and his family have moved back to the States, and I know when we come back next year and Sam doesn't, it will be hard for Will. Anne and I have tried to get in lots of together time for the boys and as they get better at communicating, it's so fun to see them play and talk together. It was hard this year as we had several really good friends who left Dubai - last year we didn't really know very many people well enough to be sad about them leaving, but we will miss a lot of people next year.
Before Nate and I got married, we bought a house. It was supposed to close sometime right before our wedding, and Nate was going to get our stuff all moved in before he came to Utah for the big day. Well, the construction business never moves like you think it will, and after we returned from our honeymoon, we were homeless. My roommate was kind enough to let us stay with her and her new husband since my stuff was all still at her house, but that only lasted a couple of weeks since her house sold, so we were forced to move back in with Nate's roommate. Trust me, that was not the way I imagined the first few weeks of married life - living with roommates! We ended up at Paul's house for 7 weeks, and I'm sure Nate was seriously questioning his choice to marry me because I was not at my best. Now, we are facing a similar homelessness, mooching off the goodness of friends situation. Movers have come and gone and emptied out our apartment, and shifted 96% of our belongings to our new flat. However, due to contract, check cashing and connection of power issues, we are unable to actually live there so we are camping out at our old apartment. Sort of. The air mattress we planned to sleep on won't inflate, so late in the night we were forced to take some friends up on an offer they may not have fully intended and we have been sleeping at their place (albeit with our own sheets, so I hope that makes them feel better about it. Thanks Stef... hope we are still friends when you get back.) I hope Will is enjoying his camping out on the floor experience and that last night is the last night for all of that.
And last but not least, Nate and I started our summer job yesterday. Many years when I was single I talked about getting some kind of part time summer job, but was always able to keep myself busy doing nothing, and since we were on a 12 month salary schedule, it wasn't necessary. But with our debt reduction goals in full force here in Dubai, we thought we would give e-Sports day camps a try for a couple of weeks. Of course we didn't know we would be homeless, and that we would have to leave our kids and nanny in an empty apartment for 2 (please no more than 2) days, or that I would be helping with the early years kids, literally wiping bottoms and cleaning up potty accidents and putting on swimsuits and taking off wet swimsuits and painting lion masks and singing songs and playing hopscotch while holding a 3 year old and all kinds of other things that you have to do with 3-4 year olds. I have a new respect for Will's future teachers and elementary grade teachers everywhere, and am validated in my decision to stay in the high school next year and not take the Elementary Librarian position I was offered. I am just not cut out for it. Granted, the kids are mostly pretty darn cute, (love those amazing brown Arab eyes) and we have only had 12 between 3 adults. But I know my place, and it is either at home with my own darlings, or with the big kids! So, just when you thought life in Dubai had thrown us enough surprises and challenges, a few more came our way. 10 more days until America...
4 comments:
Boo for homelessness and wiping bums that do not belong to you...Hip Hip Hooray for the good old USA!!
Yikes... I don't envy your summer job or your homelessness, and just remember, you can do ANYTHING for ten days! :)
Oh wow, that is crappy. Hope it goes by fast!
Wow. Sounds stressful and busy! So glad you get to come home for a visit. Here's to hanging in there.
Post a Comment