I really wanted to carve a jack-o-lantern with Will this year and when we saw U.S.A. pumpkins at the grocery store the other night, I was pretty excited. I picked out a smallish, well shaped one, we got it weighed and priced at the produce counter, and were slightly surprised that it was going to cost almost $10 for a little pumpkin. But I figured the memories would be worth it. Then, we we got to the checkout counter, Nate was double checking the little price sticker. Turns out the price was actually almost $10 per kilo, and the total price for our little pumpkin would have been around $27. We declined the opportunity to make the memories, but I am still sad. Are we too cheap? Should we just shell out the cash and make the memory? Saturday, October 22, 2011
Price of Memories
I really wanted to carve a jack-o-lantern with Will this year and when we saw U.S.A. pumpkins at the grocery store the other night, I was pretty excited. I picked out a smallish, well shaped one, we got it weighed and priced at the produce counter, and were slightly surprised that it was going to cost almost $10 for a little pumpkin. But I figured the memories would be worth it. Then, we we got to the checkout counter, Nate was double checking the little price sticker. Turns out the price was actually almost $10 per kilo, and the total price for our little pumpkin would have been around $27. We declined the opportunity to make the memories, but I am still sad. Are we too cheap? Should we just shell out the cash and make the memory?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
no ... he's little still. when we fist moved here i did a TON of paper stuff -- like we didn't have a christmas tree in our apartment, so i made one out of paper and we made decorations. make pumpkins out of paper plates. paint them orange (the backs, not the slick side),hook them back to back and staple them, and then let him glue on the shapes you cut out in black paper for the face. lex has more fun doing that than carving one. :) it's all about doing something, not really having to do what we did, you know? :) there'll still be plenty of time for real carving. :) you aren't cheap, you're smart. i wouldn't pay that much either.
jami stole my comment...well, with a bit more "cool mom" detail.
i'd agree that he's too young for it to be "worth it." alex and i are often making that mistake, doing stuff about 2 years before we should. the other day i cut out pumpkins out of orange paper, cut out black shapes, and he glued them on (not as elaborate as ms. jami), and he loved it...especially the part where he got to hang them on the door.
save the $. and STILL create memories!
p.s. we went to a pumpkin patch yesterday and left WITHOUT a pumpkin. why? cheaper at the grocery store :).
No way-- I wouldn't spend the money either! I was kind of thinking the same thing, you could make the pumpkins out of felt and cut out different shapes for the face. Will will have a great time playing with that over and over!
BTW what day of the week is best for you to skype? Let's plan something in advance and then I can plan on it. I am not too good at the last minute hop on skype to chat... :)
Nope. No pumpkin is worth $27.
Post a Comment