Friday, April 22, 2011

World Travels - Jerash, Jordan: Spring Break Part 1


If I tell you all about our first family venture out of Dubai all in one sitting, I will never finish it, so I am going to do it in sections. With all the unrest in the area, we decided to go to Jerusalem and Jordan now while we still could, and it was a great trip. We started out in Amman, Jordan, and on our first whole day, we traveled a bit north of Amman to see the ruins of a Roman city called Jerash. It was amazing, and huge, and packed! Will was the most popular part of the attraction for many of the local women and girls, who would run up and grab his cheeks, or him, and pull out their cell phones to take a picture of themselves holding him. He lost patience with this pretty quickly, and has learned a kind of funny, albeit impolite, coping mechanism. When someone talks to him and he doesn't want to respond, he just looks the other way and pretends they aren't there until they go away.
It is also a popular place for school trips, and there were lots of school groups there, and the kids liked practicing their English - every time they passed us, or anyone else obviously not local, they would say, "Hello, Welcome to Jordan." sometimes they threw in something like, "Your baby, nice, or beautiful". It was cute, and I had a semi-extended conversation with one little group, and learned their names (which I have now forgotten) and they asked me to take a picture of them. But without further ado, here are some of the photo memories of the day, and the amazing ruins - which actually show up first:-).

3 comments:

kate said...

wow!

jami v. said...

i'll second kate!

Jocie said...

I think it is so cool that you guys are taking advantage of opportunities to go to places like that. Amazing!