Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Desert Safari - Dune Bashing

There are a few things I never imagined I would be doing here, and dune bashing was one of them - I get nervous just driving in a normal car on a narrow road. But sometimes you take the opportunities you are given...



The Grade 9 students had a class activity last night, and did a desert safari, which consists of some crazy sand dune driving, a buffet dinner, free henna tattoos (I have a bracelet one that Nate hates - but it will only last a week), and a show. You could even pet a falcon (free), and have your picture taken holding it for 10 dirhams (about $2). One guy did a spinning dance where he literally spun himself in a circle for over 15 minutes, playing with some hoops, and lighted skirt things, and other cool stuff. There was a girl who did a dance holding balls of fire on chains, and of course, a belly dancer who really just shook her booty and her chest.


I volunteered to chaperone, and in retrospect, it was pretty fun, but in the moment, when our driver sped up the side of the dunes, and balanced the 4x4 on the knife edge, I was gripping the padded roll bars inside with both hands and trying not to scream. We were in the lead car, and our driver had 8 years of experience, so that made me feel better - sort of, except when I was still trying not to scream.




Good times here in Dubai. Good times.

4 comments:

jami v. said...

i have a pit in my stomach just thinking about being in that car with you. would have totally hated that, but it sure beats the outings we had with the students at bems!! :)

The Johnsons said...

It sounds like you are having an adventure of a lifetime. Enjoy these moments.

farmgirl said...

Oh, Holy Hannah!! I'm having anxiety for you! What an adventure. You're cool.

Jason and Kristin said...

Dude, that is awesome!