Saturday, April 11, 2009

Run-ins

Nate came home the other day and the first words out of his mouth were, "My dad got stabbed". I'm sorry, WHAT? And he was making a call, so he couldn't answer my questions for a few minutes! Turns out, there were some kids out working a smash and grab operation on the neighborhood cars, so his dad went out to try and catch them while the police were on the way. Two escaped in a getaway car, but the 3rd was left behind, and took a screwdriver to Nate's dad's arm in his attempted getaway on foot. The police were able to apprehend him, and witnessed him throwing away his weapon, so they retrieved that as well. They also found his fellow culprits, so charges will be pressed against all the would-be felons. The injury was minor, and was treated by paramedics on the scene, so all is well.

Last night, we went to the Diamondbacks game - Nate was pretty excited for the baby to go to his first baseball game. We went with his brother Rodney, and our friends, the Evans family and splurged for lower deck seats in right field. The Dbacks were playing the Dodgers, and there are a lot of Dodger fans in AZ, but strangely, it was the AZ fans in the rows behind us who were completely obnoxious once their alcohol kicked in. I'm sure many of you have been to that sporting event where those fans become so loud, foul-mouthed and down-right annoying that you can't help but turn and glare in amazement every few minutes. The guy right behind us crossed the line when he yelled out to a (slightly chubby) kid walking down to his seat, "Hey, fatty, get out of the way so we can watch the game!"


So many people turned around with looks of sheer awe at his insensitivity, that I was sure he would realize what an @$% he was being, but it kind of egged him on, and he just got worse. Nate, being the brave man he is, finally turned around and asked him nicely if he could tone it down a bit. Unfortunately, this just inspired him to show off his extensive ability to use the f word. Lovely. Nate asked his wife if she could do anything, and she didn't really answer. What a way to ruin a fun night out.


However, after a couple more hitters, the guy leaned down and apologized to Nate, who said, "I tried to ask nicely" etc. and the guy said, "I know, I'm sorry. Then he noticed the Evans kids sitting by Nate and asked if they were his kids, and said, "Wow, that was just not cool of me", and then right before he left, he offered to buy us a hot dog or ice cream or something, and Nate had sort of made a new friend. It does pay off eventually to stand up to people who are drunk and disorderly. Love my husband!!

5 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

Hi, just leaving a comment so you know I was here! Just kidding, it was so nice to chat with you the other night. We'll have to do it more often. Nate is brave but it paid off, did you get that hot dog?

kate said...

I actually used your story in my RS lesson! I offered it as a modern-day parallel to the story from the beginning of Lesson 30. So, if Nate wasn't already feeling proud of himself, he also got compared to Joseph Smith yesterday. :)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I'm not meaning to intrude, but I came across your blog through Anneke's blog and I just couldn't resist seeing what you're up to. Ya, call me a blog stalker! But how are you? You look great! It's fun checking in on old friends!

Kelli (moser)

Mer said...

Hi Kelli! Now how can I blog stalk you?:)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Send me your email address and I'll get you an invite.
kswaner@msn.com
kelli