You know how an active imagination is supposed to be a positive quality? Well, sometimes when you are pregnant, it's definitely a detriment. On my way to a doctor's appointment today, where I knew I was supposed to get to hear the heartbeat, I started thinking worst case scenario. I know, I should be positive, but I can't help trying to prepare myself for the worst, just for a minute, just in case. I made it to the doctor's office safely, and survived the scale - I really hate that part.
The tech squirts some cold stuff on my belly and starts sliding her little tool around, but I don't hear anything except that empty woosh woosh woosh sound, so the prayers start heading up, please let the heartbeat still be there - repeated multiple times. Finally, at last she finds it, and the little thump thump thump came through. She let me listen long enough to say it was beating at 164 beats per minute, then she took her little magic tool away. But it was enough.
4 comments:
EVERY time I went to the doctor's, I felt such relief on hearing his little heartbeat. One time it took awhile (probably only like 5 seconds), and I was very close to a panic attack. When you finally get to see your little bundle in person, that relief is magnified about 100x.
I also hated the scale. And my doctor's continual "If you keep this up, you're going to be REALLY uncomfortable by the end of this." I will not be going back to him.
i think everyone who has ever been pregnant feels just the same way you do.wait until you start feeling the little gomer move and then one day when you're thinking about it you're like "hmm, haven't felt him move for a while." that makes me panic too. i can't tell you how many times jas has yelled (not like yell, yell but you know, loud voiced it) at my belly, "come on little guy! just move. your mom needs to feel you move right now." but it's all good. :)
i just went to the dr tuesday - and aside from the dreaded scale (i was doing so well and now i just don't want to even look any more!) i really hate the pee in the cup thing. (i know. crass to even bring that up, but really, isn't there a better - maybe more dignified way to get what they need to get? hmm) ... but i guess it's all for a very good cause!
Whew! Thank goodness for modern technology that can ease our minds. I'm so happy for you guys! When do you have your boy/girl ultra sound?
That made me teary-eyed just remembering that exact feeling. It's such a miracle - a little tiny heart beat. Wow. That's definately why there is reason to look forward to each dr.'s appt!
Post a Comment