You know how sometimes on tv shows they start at the end, and work backwards? Well, since my fall break is almost over, that is how I will have to share. We got back from another fun adventure to St. George on Thursday, and our to-do list is getting marginally shorter. But on to the more exciting stuff. We have taken to leaving bright and early on our jaunts to and from St. George - it's a long 9 hours either way, but it feels better to arrive in the afternoon. Anyway, I digress.
Thursday: We left at 4:45 Utah time and took the scenic route through Hurricane and Colorado City. I slept throught the majority of this, and was rudely awakened by Nate honking the horn repeatedly. I stirred just in time to make eye contact with the (at least) six point buck that was standing in the road in front of the truck. Sadly, Nate's horn honking only encouraged the animal to run further into the road rather than out of the way, and there was definited contact! I think the truck got the worse end of the deal - the dumb animal actually walked away from it all. Luckily, we were able to extract the headlight and grill splinters and drive the rest of the way home, (except the passenger door won't open right now!) but our new insurance company is skeptical about our $4,000 claim . . .
Wednesday: Nate and I took a little bike ride - St. George has miles of paved, mostly level trails so we usually take our bikes. As we started on the Virgin River South trail, I noticed something crawling across the path in front of me so I stopped to investigate. Lo and behold, I got to see my first real life tarantula! Of course I had to call Nate back to see, and take a picture. After this great excitement, it is pretty anti-climatic to say that I made it up a pretty large hill fairly easily, riding the whole way - no getting off and walking . . . I was just glad we took a circular route and I didn't have to get back up a bigger one on the way back. 
He looks so tiny and not at all creepy here - but he was! I know this is only two days, more reminiscing to come . . .
2 comments:
wow ... what adventures. i am pretty sure that i wouldn't have stopped for a picture of the hairy thing, but would have screamed and turned my bike in the other direction. oh wait. you probably already knew that! :)
sorry about the truck. that doesn't look so great!
thanks for finally posting. i was just getting ready to write you a nasty email because i haven't heard a word from you this whole break :) but you're forgiven! keep posting!! :)
What is up with you hitting large animals?----was it a deer that time in the canyon too? That sucks!
I had my share of large furry spiders in Brazil----still not a fan.
Post a Comment