Nate is in Oman for a basketball tournament, so the kids and I are on our own until tomorrow and it has been an interesting weekend. Will locked himself in the bathroom (again - did it before and after he finally figured out how to turn the lock, promised he wouldn't do it again, but his new privacy thing got the better of him.) For future reference, a flathead screwdriver will turn the lock from the outside, and hopefully he really won't use the locks again! Hmmm, let's see what else. Oh - finally one of my kids likes potatoes! It's been tough for this Idaho girl to have her kids spit out their potatoes in almost every form but finally yesterday Will ate the mashed potatoes on his own, and even said, "these potatoes are good!" and asked for seconds. Phew. I was afraid someone was going to have to be slightly disowned from my potato growing heritage.
Natural consequences: I have always liked this idea, and after church, Will got a good dose of them. When washing his hands in the sink, he loves to play in the water, and often puts his hand over the faucet to make it spray everywhere. Of course, when Nate or I are there helping, we strongly discourage this activity. However, in his independence, Will can mostly do the bathroom thing on his own (except in the middle of the night unfortunately), so he was there on his own, and all of a sudden I heard him crying. Turns out he had sprayed himself pretty good, and the floor, and the door and he was not happy about it! This turned into about a 30 minute crying spell where everything went wrong - he couldn't get his wet shirt off, Finley followed him upstairs and he didn't want her to, then she had the nerve to push him, then I wouldn't let him watch a cartoon. It was a tough time for all.
Finley LOVES puzzles lately, and she is pretty good at them but we have 3 different sets of these little ones that she likes to dump out all at once. AAAHHHHH. I can still remember being a kid and dumping out all the puzzles, and then spending what felt like the whole day trying to get them put back together and clean up my mess. If my mom doesn't remember that day, and feel some satisfaction that I am getting payback now, I hope I have jogged her memory:) Finley also likes emptying the camel money banks and putting the coins back in. Yesterday, she had them all dumped out on the couch, and lined up neatly, then the next thing I knew, the money had disappeared! But this morning, she found it in her little yellow car. It's pretty cute when she finishes a puzzle, or gets all the coins put away and claps for herself and says "Yeah!"
We have one more afternoon and evening together on our own, so wish us good luck and good sleep!
Natural consequences: I have always liked this idea, and after church, Will got a good dose of them. When washing his hands in the sink, he loves to play in the water, and often puts his hand over the faucet to make it spray everywhere. Of course, when Nate or I are there helping, we strongly discourage this activity. However, in his independence, Will can mostly do the bathroom thing on his own (except in the middle of the night unfortunately), so he was there on his own, and all of a sudden I heard him crying. Turns out he had sprayed himself pretty good, and the floor, and the door and he was not happy about it! This turned into about a 30 minute crying spell where everything went wrong - he couldn't get his wet shirt off, Finley followed him upstairs and he didn't want her to, then she had the nerve to push him, then I wouldn't let him watch a cartoon. It was a tough time for all.
Finley LOVES puzzles lately, and she is pretty good at them but we have 3 different sets of these little ones that she likes to dump out all at once. AAAHHHHH. I can still remember being a kid and dumping out all the puzzles, and then spending what felt like the whole day trying to get them put back together and clean up my mess. If my mom doesn't remember that day, and feel some satisfaction that I am getting payback now, I hope I have jogged her memory:) Finley also likes emptying the camel money banks and putting the coins back in. Yesterday, she had them all dumped out on the couch, and lined up neatly, then the next thing I knew, the money had disappeared! But this morning, she found it in her little yellow car. It's pretty cute when she finishes a puzzle, or gets all the coins put away and claps for herself and says "Yeah!"
We have one more afternoon and evening together on our own, so wish us good luck and good sleep!
No comments:
Post a Comment