Friday, December 16, 2011

Crusts & Cards

Growing up, we had two apple trees in our backyard, and every summer my grandma and my mom's sisters would come for "pie day". Everyone had a task, my dad helped peel the apples, and for a while, my responsibilitiy was mixing the sugar and spice stuff to sweeten the pie. One year, I finally graduated to helping my grandma make the pie crust. I had limited experience rolling out the crusts and crimping the edges but had never started from scratch.
Despite being taught by a master, and getting to practice with my mom for many years afterwards, I was always intimidated by undertaking the process on my own. This year, I finally decided to give it a shot, and since I am only making pie for my little family, I had to find a smaller recipe for crust. The familiar smells and tastes brought back lots of memories as I mixed up my crust last night, and put a pumpkin pie in the oven. Once the pie pan is empty, apple pie is up next, then a pecan for Nate. Yeah for pie - and long term memory that helped me create a not only edible, but yummy pie crust!Sometimes Will surprises us with how much he knows, and how he listens to us. (Of course this isn't when we are asking him to do something though.) Yesterday on the way home from church, we were talking about names for the baby, and how we will eventually choose just one name for this child. No decision has been reached yet as our short lists are both still separate. I decided to try the "remember how stressful this pregnancy has been for me" card to see if that could sway Nate to my name choice, and he answered much as I thought he would - "don't try playing that card". We laughed at each other, and then from the backseat Will piped up, "no try playing that card"!
So with Will and Nate not letting me play the pregnancy card, the baby still doesn't have a name...

2 comments:

jami v. said...

jealous that you're attempting pie crust. jas would be so happy if i would, but i did one year for his bday and ended up trying 3 times before i drove to the store cursing :) because none of the worked out. ah ... one day maybe!!

and good luck with the baby name! :) and i'm thinking one name is a good idea this time around! hehehehe

Jocie said...

Oh, please---you are totally allowed to play that card!