Monday, June 6, 2011

A Dubai Weekend

I can officially come back to the States now - I've been to the 123rd floor of the tallest building in the world, and walked on the beach on the Palm. My friend Anne, (the mom of Will's friend Sam) is having baby boy number 2, and we had a celebration for her over the weekend. I can't really call it a baby shower in the traditional sense we all know and love, because instead of games and presents, we had scones and mocktails at the at.mosphere lounge in the Burj Kahlifa. Great way to celebrate! Megan is another friend who came along, and I admit, the next picture is the view from the bathroom window. Yep, they even do spectacular bathrooms here.
Mira lives down the hall from us, and she was the organizer of this lovely fete, and here is our "tea tray". The sandwiches have little dollops of caviar. I only tried one, and avoided the fish eggs. It may be expensive stuff, but it's fish eggs for crying out loud!! The scones and jam were delicious, as were the mocktails - my favorite was the orange, passionfruit.
Our little dessert plate - all yummy, but I think my favorite was the second to the right with the square of chocolate - it was some kind of caramel eclair.
Jennifer (U.S.), Mira (Lebanon), Megan(Canada), me, Anne(U.S.), Victoria(Ukraine).

Several families from our branch, and one from the ward here are moving on - either back to the States, or to other international adventures. One of the families in the ward hosted a farewell party at their villa on the Palm. I have to say, their beach was kind of nasty - you can see the sand is actually pretty muddy and reminded me of a mucky lake. Turns out when they built the palm tree out of nothing, they forgot to consider water flow, so all the beaches are a bit gross, and the water is kind of stagnant.
But the villas are lovely, and so is the view... I still think there are other places I would choose here in Dubai if I had that kind of cash though!

19 more days:)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't believe all of the adventures you are having. But I am SO excited for you guys to finally get here! We all miss you!!

kate said...

I'm getting pregnant just to have that type of "shower." :)

The Andersons said...

Glad I found you. Find us, there are some of W's pictures of our adventures together. Have a great summer :)