When I get embarrassed or angry, I blush. A lot. Case in point: One evening many years ago, I had gone to Hastings (a video rental store) to pick up a movie I was going to show in school the next day. The old movies could be had for 49 cents - a small price to pay for movie day in school. Another small fact - I rarely have cash on me. On this fateful day, I had less than no cash - not even any change in my wallet, and turns out Hastings can't run a debit charge for less than a dollar. There was a line of people behind me as I was attempting this transaction, and as you can imagine, it was a little embarrassing. I was blushing. So much so that the guy in line behind me felt it necessary to point out, "wow, look how red she is getting!", as if I didn't recognize that burning feeling creeping throughout my whole body.
Anyhow, he volunteered 51 cents to put me out of my misery and now its just a funny story. As I mentioned, I also blush when I get angry, which I think its safe to say has really only happened at the hands of 8th graders. (not that they are the only ones who make me angry, just that they are the only ones who make me angry enough to do a full body blush. Yep, even my arms go red, which they love to point out.) Today was one of those days where all those things about adolescents that can make me crazy happened within the space of about 20 minutes. Then I had to go to a department meeting during lunch, and was handed down some rules from my supervisor that I feel are quite asinine, so that didn't really help my mood. Our schedule is set up so that I see my 4th hour for 25 minutes, then they go to lunch, then they come back for another 25 minutes. Do you see where this is going? I was annoyed by them, then rules, then 25 more minutes of being annoyed by them and I got so annoyed that my body reacted with a full body blush, which they were happy to notice and point out. Let me add that this is the same group of students who plotted against a sub a few weeks back. A quality group of munchkins.
My point in sharing all this is that by the time I finally got home from this incredibly long day at work, I took a few minutes after dinner to catch up on my blog friends. I was pleased to find that many of them had new posts to read, which allowed me to escape the petty annoyances of my job, and hear about the blessings one friend found in challenges in '09, the new adventures with 4 year olds that awaits another friend, sweet mommy moments of a couple other friends, and the list just goes on. So thanks for sharing your lives with me, and helping me to refocus on what's really important in mine.
11 comments:
And thank you for having a new post for me to read while I wait to go pick up the carpool. I can totally imagine your arms going red too. So funny. I'm wondering though why you didn't just grab a candy bar or something to make your Hastings purchase over a dollar? :)
In retrospect, the solution seems so simple doesn't it?
oh, the good old mer turning red days. :) but i'm right there with you... :) sorry you had one of those days, but it ended well. :) i would have to say i love your blog for exactly the same reason. :)
Glad I could be of help. And about those 4 year olds...today one little boy told me adamantly (sp?) that he didn't want to choose the right, he wanted to choose the wrong!
Oh, and by the way, why are they having department meetings during lunch. Is nothing sacred anymore?!
Oh Meridee, you make me smile. Thanks for the post.
Yes. And thank you for giving me something to read too. I love blogs and blogging and old friends that I never kept up with until I entered this wonderful blog world.
Have a great day. :o)
p.s. I actually have memories of finding the full body blush pretty entertaining. :D
All right, you really got me thinking on this one...I just posted about how much I really do love this blog world. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :o)
i first appreciated "blog world escape" when i had hamilton and felt completely disconnected from the world.
i'll be counting on posts from you to make me feel less so again with baby #2...one month to go. yikes!!
p.s. and thanks for helping me remember that messy diapers and flying food is often better than a bad day at school...
Oh Mer, I'm going to start subbing school this week. Should I be scared?
De - dont' be scared to sub - or if you are, don't let them see it. Kids can smell fear. Make up some cool story about how you used to be a probation officer or something. I had a sub who told the kids that - i think it was even true - and she alwasy had good luck with them:)
Post a Comment