Sunday, September 13, 2009

Starting over

A few years ago, my comfortable life had taken on some pretty uncomfortable qualities - a boss I didn't like, a job where my best friend wasn't anymore, romantic disappointment, and a day to day existence that was in such a deep rut that I felt like I was in one of those slot canyons where that guy got stuck and had to cut off his own arm. Anyway, I decided that little bug in my ear was saying things I should start listening to, so I threw some options out into the universe to see what would happen.
This is what I imagine I looked like most days . . .

Long story short, I found a job and a nice place to live and was able to essentially pack up my life and move in approximately 12 days. I didn't know a soul in my new life, and looking back, I still am in awe at the spiritual hand holding that must have been happening for me to be able to pull it off. But lest you start to think too much of me, I promised myself a few things before I ventured out - one was that I would give it two years, and if I hated it, I could come home. The second was that if I did it, I could get a new car. Once I made it through the move, and got settled, I started researching what kind of new car I wanted to give myself. My research was very scientific - as I drove the freeways and roads of my new life, I started noticing which cars looked cool and finally settled on a Volvo S60.
I found a sweet car, and survived my first "dealership" car buying experience with the help of my new boyfriend Nate, and loved driving that little sporty car with its 2.4T (stands for Turbo) engine. However, when my boyfriend became my husband, he started telling me how he really felt about my cute little car and trying to fold his tall self into it. (And when I say fold, its kind of literal) I knew it was time to leave my little car behind though, when we tried to install the car seat, and we just had to keep moving that passenger seat closer and closer to the dash. Turns out that despite their safety ratings, Volvo S60's are not really made for families - unless whoever wants to ride in the front seat has no legs.

Yesterday, I said goodbye to my Volvo, and hello to our new (to us) Murano. The front and back seats are like sitting in first class on an airplane - leg room for miles! People with legs can sit in the front seat, and we are now a two-Nissan family. I loved the time I had with my sporty car, but life moves on and we will move with it - right into our first "family" car!

11 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

I think you have gone through more cars than anyone I know! Congrats on the fam car. I hope it treats you well :)

the5firds said...

Wow, big move! Can't wait until it's a minivan.

Mrs. McNeel said...

Congrats on the new car and the need for it! You have a beautiful family :)

jami v. said...

ok. talk about a trip down memory lane. i remember that time and remember HATING to see you go. it is amazing, isn't it, how things work? i'm glad your brave trip has turned into new adventures - becoming a wife, a mom (and a very good one i might add), and now the driver of a new family car. :)
xoxoxo

kate said...

Your post struck a couple nerves, so here comes my too-long comment....

1. My "slot canyon" was St. George (better job situation though), and I still marvel at how well everything worked out when I set off for CA. Definitely cannot take responsibility for that.

2. Since MY move went so well, I remember wishing you'd get to do the same, and then when you did, that really good things would happen for you. I'd label Nate and Will beyond "really good."

3. Your car buying story has made me feel SO much better. I drive a VW Golf and was thinking that we could manage 2 car seats back there. We tried to fit them in last night...The driver is uncomfortably close to the steering wheel, and the passenger (in front of the baby seat) will be killed by the air bag or have their knees broken by the glove box. As much as I feel guilty about taking on a new, bigger car payment, doing otherwise would be ridiculous...and your purchase has made me feel more confident in that. Thank you!

4. One day our new cars need to make it to each other's places. If we weren't in Fresno 3 weekends of the next month and a half...I'd totally be bugging you in AZ!

Mer said...

I will direct this to kate since she started it, but seriously - anytime, we'd love to have you - and that applies to all friends! Good luck with the car hunt Kate.

Jocie said...

We are a two Nissan family as well---there is no other way to be =) It's weird how the scariest things often end up being the best things in the end.

whirligigdaisy said...

Oh Mer, I remember hearing that you were moving and thinking, "Wow, she is so brave!" And look how it has all turned out. There were lots of people wishing all the best happiness for you, and it looks like you've found it and more. Your baby is beautiful. (And I don't mean the car).

farmgirl said...

I like it. At least your new ride is still cute, once you cross over into minivan land you can't even pretend to be cool any more.

Bryant P. Castleton said...

Had to chime in quickly after reading the comments. Big fan of the Nissans (the first car in our marriage was an Altima until Becca totalled it - sore subject). Anyway - enjoy that Murano and trust in the fact that there IS an alternative to the mini-van! My wife grew up with one (as I know you did) and won't let me buy one so needing that third row we recently bought a Mazda CX-9 and have been in love ever since. This car actually lets us get by looking kinda' hip anyway! We weren't big on the Pathfinder and the Armada was a little too big, but the CX-9 has been heaven. Anyway, sorry for that segment brought to you by Edmunds.com.

Will is very cute and lucky to have parents that have traveled a path that leaves them appreciating him all the more!

Kelsey said...

Love the car and loved reading your story! :)