Saturday, September 18, 2010

Iftars, Souks and the MOE

Despite repeated attempts, obviously there are no pictures here yet. Let me reiterate that I cannot wait to have our own internet connection. But so much has been going on, and my head is overflowing with blog posts, so I will let you use your powers of visualization for now. We arrived in Dubai shortly after the beginning of Ramadan, which is a month long period of fasting and contemplation of self for Muslims. For non-Muslims, it means no eating or drinking in public from sun-up to sun down, and some really good sales at the malls. I hate to sound disrespectful, but its really hard not to be able to have a quick drink of water when you are out walking in the middle of a really hot day - and hungry, thirsty people make for crazy drivers!!

One fun benefit of Ramadan though, are Iftars - the nightly feasts that are held to end each day's fast. Right before school started, our school took us to an Iftar at Sezzam, a really nice restaurant in the Mall of the Emirates, that overlooks Ski Dubai. We have learned that everything in Dubai is the "tallest, biggest, fastest", you name it. And Iftars are no exception - it was a buffet the likes of which we have never seen before. Some food was delicious, some more interesting than tasty, but a really cool night.

Yesterday, some veteran teachers organized a "Big Bus Tour"of Dubai, that hits the same spots as the commercial tour, and we were able to see some of the old souks, the Dubai Museum which is housed in an old fort, and we crossed the Dubai Creek in a dhow- I think similar to the old fishing boats. We also got to learn all the best places to get drinks. Even though you have to have a license to purchase alcohol here, hotels with restaurant/bars are the only places who can just sell drinks, and there are a lot of them here... we made sure to file that information away safely.

And finally for today since my time is running short, after Ramadan comes Eid - a holiday to celebrate being able to eat and drink again - at least for us! And the Ministry of Education decided their Eid break should start a day early, which meant that all schools had to close too. We had 3 days on shortened schedule the first week with students, then a six day weekend, then a 3 day week last week on regular schedule. This week we are all in - 5 day week, regular schedule so there is a pretty good chance that by Thursday we will be wiped out! But so far, the kids are super nice, and the other teachers are helpful so the school front is looking good.

Will's nanny Calista, from Sri Lanka, is working out great. We are getting better - slowly - at understanding each other, and she does a great job with Will. His new crib finally got delivered yesterday, and he slept great last night. Except for the whole sitting in the hall to use the internet outside of school, things are coming together nicely. Happy Sunday to all - cross your fingers for better luck with pictures!

8 comments:

jami v. said...

what great adventures - and mostly i'm just glad you're doing ok and that little will is doing ok. :) i love your updates and look forward to your visas coming so we can have regular ones! :) xoxo

Amanda said...

I can't wait for your photos! Everything sounds so exciting, I am glad to hear all is well. I still can't believe you are there! If only you had left a few weeks later...Give Will hugs for us!

Jason and Kristin said...

Your blog is so entertaining to me even without pictures!

Crystel said...

Its so neat to hear about your adventures. :) I'm glad you guys are doing well and adjusting nicely (despite the internet situation). Its weird seeing someone else living in your home, but glad they are, for you guys. :) Keep posting!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Wow! What an adventure! And I'm sure your parents are missing that sweet little guy (and his parents), like crazy. I hope things continue going smoothly!

kelli

Lauri said...

I definitely need pictures...I have never heard some of those words. What an incredible experience for you guys though. Keep those posts coming!!!

What do you do about church? Is there any sort of church established over there? (I know this is probably a really stupid question and I'm showing my ignorance)

whirligigdaisy said...

Glad to hear that things are good. We're rooting for you in your new adventure.

farmgirl said...

I cannot believe the adventure you are living! Good luck, keep us posted.